Saturday, January 19, 2008

Energy: Electricity and Me

Since I was in my teens I had this penchant to switch off the lights that were not being used. If I see a room with no one, I go and turn off the lights. I remember, my uncle scolding me for this when I did the same at his place. He said, evenings is when Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth) enters the house and you have to leave your whole house with lights on to welcome her. With that experience I stopped doing this when I am at someone else's place. Ofcourse I do it discreetly sometimes as it really bothers me.

When I was in my Engineering, if I saw a class room with fans and lights and no students - first thing I do is .... you know what it is. My friends would laugh at me. But I never stopped.

I remember having "scheduled" power cuts in my State. So every night from 8 PM to 9 PM for an hour there was no power. If only everyone understood the value of saving electricity we would not have these daily power cuts. But unfortunately, people don't think so and it's just a matter of awareness.

They get used to these power cuts and move on without thinking of doing anything to avoid this in future. What is their argument? Well, I will do it, but others will not. So what's the point if only I do this. So you need to create awareness in them hoping they would get it. And sure they will. We all are very understanding human beings. We just need to be given the right information. That's it.

But there was a good part for these scheduled power-cuts. That was the time we kids would gather outside and play. We would tell stories to each other, play games in moon light, count stars etc. It was so much fun. We talk about bonding in corporate world - it cannot get better than this when you are kids. I used to love it.

I hope I see a day when everyone around me is more into saving electricity. One of these days I will have a blog on Water and Me. But don't worry it's not the next one. I don't want to bore you all (wonder how many will read this).

2 comments:

సమిధ ఆన౦ద్ said...

Advocator is certainly a right word, but advocate is most used. However, you certainly deserve the name why not! Especially after reading your post on energy. But be it anything, I am always a looser when it comes to savings. My mom always complains in this regards. I need to change!

Priya said...

I just re-read this post. So many mistakes :) Well, I will say what we used to say in college - bhasha kaadu, bhavam mukhyam. :)
And I am glad you got the point.