Thursday, December 12, 2013

Listen...

"Gambling blunts the intelligence of the loser. He keeps on playing to regain what he has lost. He does not know when to stop playing. The same thing happens to the winning player too. In his greed for winning, he forgets where the game should end. Both violate the very code of gambling. " This is what Vidur says to Drithrashtra when he asks Vidur about his opinion on inviting Yudhishtar to Hastinapur to play dice with Duryodhan. He clearly says that playing dice amongst brothers is not right. But then Drithrashtra orders him to go to Indraprasth and invite Yudhishtar personally to play dice. Vidur in a disappointed tone says "if you have already decided to write the last chapter of Kuru history, then I will obey you and go to Indraprasth".

Few things to learn from here.
  • Don't let your love for your children blind your decisions on what is right or wrong
  • When you do know that someone's judgement can be trusted based on his knowledge and experience and you yourself are not sure about your own judgement, listen to that person.

2 comments:

Jai Joshi said...

I love Vidur. He's also so right about everything.

Jai

Priya said...

I agree Jai. I was telling my friend that if I have a son, I would name him 'Vidur' :) Amazing guy.